Sellafield Distributed SystemsOpen date: Tuesday 1 September 2020 Close date: Monday 28 September 2020
Sellafield Ltd and Digital Catapult are looking for businesses engaged in distributed systems to design, build, and trial solutions to challenges faced by the nuclear industry.
The Sellafield distributed systems open call is an opportunity to provide practical solutions to challenges currently faced by the nuclear industry. Specifically, Sellafield Ltd is looking to commission providers for the development of two solutions to proof of value stage (TRL 6+).
These projects will be commercially funded over a 12 month period:
- Integrated tracking of nuclear waste container data: through this open call Sellafield and Digital Catapult are looking for businesses engaged in distributed ledger technology to design, build and trial a solution in response to the nuclear industry’s waste data management challenge. To read the challenge information in detail and apply this challenge click here.
- Nuclear passport: through this open call, Sellafield and Digital Catapult are looking for businesses engaged in distributed ledger technology to design, build and trial a solution in response to the employee data management challenge within the nuclear industry. To read the challenge information in detail and apply this challenge click here.
Why get involved
This is a unique opportunity for startups and scaleups to pitch their DLT solutions directly with stakeholders from across Sellafield Ltd. This activity will also enable successful participants to:
- Gain access and visibility into the energy and nuclear sector
- Have the potential to become a delivery partner within the nuclear decommissioning ecosystem
- Access to funding and advice to develop products to trial deployment within real-world environments
- Receive global promotion and recognition of the value of DLT-based solutions within highly regulated ecosystems
Who should apply
This application process is designed for startup and scaleups developing DLT-based solutions and are willing to work within energy and nuclear decommissioning.
Companies must have a demonstrable product or service and focus on showing how products can be applied to the challenges and use-cases described by Sellafield.
Areas of advanced digital technology applications and solutions include (but are not limited to):
- Distributed ledger technology
- Self-sovereign identity
- Multi-party access to data
- Key management and distribution
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Asset tracking and fleet tracking
- Data visualisation and interpretation
- Novel internet of things solutions
This open call is not applicable for:
- Startups with a team of less than three people, startups with solutions currently lower than TRL4
- Companies hosting data outside of the UK
- Functionality that would normally be in generic COTS inventory management systems
- Solutions that increase existing overhead around manual data collection and processing
- Merkelising data on public blockchains
About Sellafield Ltd:
Licensed under the Nuclear Installations Act 1965 and holder of the licence for the Sellafield nuclear site, the legal entity responsible for Sellafield, which is owned by the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
Sellafield Ltd is responsible for ensuring that it’s activities are carried out:
- safely, securely and predictably, with due regard for the environment
- to the satisfaction of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority
- in the long-term interests of our organisation, our employees, the local communities and our supply chain partners
More information available here.
How to register interest
Applications close at 17:00 GMT on 28 September. Before applying we recommend that you read thoroughly the each challenge brief in detail and add any link to additional relevant content.