Things Connected LPWAN Showcase for Local Authorities
Date: 9 October 2018 08:00 - 9 October 2018 14:00
Join us and our four local authority partners on 9 October 2018 to hear about the initial findings of their smart city trials, and workshop the best uses of LPWAN for your authority.
Internet of Things (IoT) has huge potential to transform local authority service delivery by using its Low-Power Wide-Area Networks (LPWAN) technology that offers them a simple, low cost, low maintenance means of connecting thousands of “things” to the internet, such as care homes, parking spaces, rubbish bins, traffic lights and housing estates. LPWAN is an important building block for smart places, yet most local authorities have not yet discovered how they could benefit from using it.
Digital Catapult has been investigating LPWAN with four local authorities – Sutton, Croydon, Thurrock and Suffolk. Together we have been working with UK innovators and running live trials to address business challenges in areas such as social care, waste management, footfall monitoring and air pollution.
The showcase will share our experiences and lessons learned with an invited audience of local authorities. It will be followed by a workshop for those local authorities keen to explore how they might make the most of LPWAN.
At the morning showcase:
- Hear from four Local Authorities already trialling LPWAN solutions – how did they gain buy-in and what have they learned so far
- Meet UK businesses with innovative LPWAN solutions for the Local Authority sector
- Network with other Local Authorities interested in IoT.
During the afternoon workshop:
- Identify which are the best LPWAN use cases for your authority
- Learn about the key factors to consider when building an LPWAN business case
- Take-away guide to “build your own LPWAN use-case”.
Who should attend?
This event is aimed at local authorities and partner organisations (e.g., ALMOs) responsible for delivering local authority services. This includes directors, Heads of service, CIOs, strategic programme managers, Smart City and Digital Transformation managers, Economic development and Regeneration officers.
- 09:00 – Registration and breakfast
- 10:00 – Welcome and opening talk – “How can IoT technologies benefit local authorities?”
- 10:15 – Presentations from the four Local Authorities explaining how they are trialling IoT technologies in their local area, followed by a panel Q&A
- 11:15 – Company demos and networking
- 12:15 – Lunch
- 13:15 – 15:00 – Interactive workshop exploring the best uses of LPWAN for local authorities.
If you’re interested in this event and would like to submit your application, click the tab above. Please note that you will need to register separately for the morning showcase and the afternoon workshop.
For more information please contact [email protected]
About Things Connected
Things Connected is a Digital Catapult programme designed to support UK businesses working with LPWAN technologies, such as LoRaWAN and Sigfox by offering a free-to-use network for experimenting and prototyping with new IoT products and services.
Digital Catapult also runs innovation programmes bringing together local authorities and LPWAN innovators in order to explore the potential of LPWAN technologies to solve real-world local authority business challenges.