Digitising Europe's industry together
DigiFed is a network of innovation hubs across Europe, Digital Catapult is the UK hub. The project creates sustainable cross-border services and partnerships between small and large businesses, universities, public bodies and research and technology organisations.
DigiFed seeks to boost adoption of advanced digital technologies, or cyber-physical systems (CPS), by European startups and scaleups with a focus on non-digital businesses to transform and digitise their operations, products and service offerings.
About the programme
Part of the Smart Anything Everywhere project, DigiFed is an EU funded H2020 project and is dedicated to supporting European industries to digitalise their product and services and reach new markets enabled by cyber physical systems and embedded systems.
Various open calls were launched throughout the project lifetime, providing windows of opportunities for applicants across Europe to come forward with innovation ideas to be supported by DigiFed innovation pathways: Application Experiments, Generic Experiments and Digital Challenges.
Application Experiments involve activities that directly support small and medium businesses who possess both low and higher levels of digital maturity to catch up and upgrade skills and existing products with dedicated services, tools and solutions, or to integrate advanced digital technologies and access potential customers including larger industrial stakeholders.
Generic Experiments involve Digital Innovation Hubs supporting businesses to de-risk innovation and technology integration processes at an early phase.
Digital Challenges involve businesses responding to a digital challenge set by one of the DigiFed challenge owners operating in the industrial space.
The DigiFed project focuses on the following areas:
- CPS/embedded systems
- Smart applications
- Artificial Intelligence
- Additive manufacturing
- Application-specific semiconductor technologies
- Heterogeneous integration and smart miniaturised systems
- Micro and nano bio-systems
- The energy efficiency of systems
Benefits of the programme
The DigiFed project offered successful applicants:
- Access to industrial platforms in the domain of cyber-physical and embedded systems (CPS)
- Funding between €55k-€110k
- Product support and development to bring innovations to target markets
- High-level technical and industry expertise
- Opportunity to respond to a real-world industry challenge
- Innovation management support focusing on sustainable business development
- Services to identify technical partners and commercial opportunities in Europe, to operate within DigiFed project via tailored help, webinars and bootcamps
What is Digital Catapult’s role?
Digital Catapult is supporting UK and European startups to reach new markets and digitise their solutions, products and offerings by providing:
- Access to 5G and IoT network testbeds
- IoT benchmarking
- Access to compute power
- Machine learning and AI Ethics capabilities
- AI and IoT technology support
- Product development coaching
- Support for participants to establish pan-European relationships with suppliers and customers
- Help for successful applicants to access further funding via its investor network
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 872088.