Open Call: Personalised TV Experiences with Maxis, MalaysiaOpen date: Sunday 18 July 2021 Close date: Friday 20 August 2021 Apply now
How can Maxis create a more personalised experience for Maxis TV customers, making better use of the activity and browser data of its users, to support an increase in paid subscribers to the service?
This unique opportunity will enable an innovative UK based technology company to work directly with Maxis, the leading converged solutions provider in Malaysia.
Maxis is looking to the UK Technology sector to propose solutions around how they can help the company to create a more personalised and user centred Maxis TV product, that will increase its paid subscriber base.
This exciting challenge is part of the UK-ASEAN business challenge programme supported by the Department for International Trade.
What is Maxis TV?
In 2021, Maxis launched a revamped Maxis TV product, which is a video entertainment service that offers premium video content including movies and TV shows that cater for the growing appetite of digital content among Malaysians. It is the first-of-its-kind video entertainment service that gives total control over entertainment, delivering a seamless new experience where users can easily discover, purchase, and watch premium video content all in one platform. All Maxis TV passes are now available to Maxis and non-Maxis customers, with free one-month trial for all new subscribers.
Subscribers can enjoy streaming high quality content when purchasing single or multiple data bundles on the Maxis network. With Maxis TV passes, subscribers get to watch movies, dramas and TV shows on-the-go anytime, anywhere, on multiple devices. To deliver the best content that everyone in Malaysia loves, Maxis is partnering with top tier video on demand (VOD) providers, such as Dimsum Entertainment, iflix, Viu, Mubi, Netflix, iQiyi, and many more to come, to offer this service.
What we’re looking for
A solution that will allow for the sophisticated analysis of user data, to help Maxis to better understand user preferences and:
- Create a more personalised experience for subscribers
- Increase the number of active subscribers by creating a better experience for free trialists, increasing the likelihood of converting trialists into long-term active subscribers
In order to achieve this, Maxis is interested in:
- Data companies that can help Maxis to personalise the TV product offer to users
- AI / ML recommendation tools that have a proven track record of working with a similar products
- Solutions that can support the creation of an amazing and intuitive Maxis TV experience
Maxis is being supported through the open challenge in the UK by the Digital Catapult NETV (NETV) team. Digital Catapult NETV will work with Maxis to select up to six shortlisted companies to pitch their solutions, with the aim of selecting one company to work directly with the company on the Maxis TV product.
Why get involved?
This challenge presents an exciting opportunity for a UK based technology company to establish or grow its reach in the ASEAN region, by working with the leading converged solutions provider in Malaysia.
There are many reasons why companies may wish to participate in the business challenge, including:
- An opportunity for up to six applicants to pitch their solutions to the Maxis TV and Innovation team
- A unique opportunity for one company to work with Maxis to deploy the solution on Maxis TV: the only video entertainment service of its kind in the Malaysian market
- Potential for the proposed solution to be deployed across other growth areas within the business, e.g. finance and education
- Raise company profile by gaining valuable presence on Digital Catapult and UK Tech Cluster social platforms
- Gain commercially valuable feedback from the Digital Catapult NETV team about the viability of the solution
- Opportunity for project / company to be promoted across the ASEAN region through the Department for International Trade’s digital trade network as part of the UK-ASEAN business challenge.
Who should apply?
Digital Catapult NETV and Maxis are looking for innovative UK based technology companies that have solutions that will support the personalisation of Maxis TV.
This may include:
- Data analytics companies
- AI and Machine Learning companies
- AI recommendation engines
Applicants must be a UK based registered limited company (or prove they have an establishment in the UK) and undertake the majority of the activity in the UK.
Next steps and registration
The budget is £10,000 which will cover the costs of developing a proof of concept to work with Maxis TV. Please note depending on the success of this proof of concept stage, there is potential for the successful applicant to work longer term with Maxis on higher value contracts.
Interested companies can register their applications here
To know more about the shortlisting criteria please download the information pack.
Digital Catapult NETV will shortlist the applications and will invite up to six proposals to prepare a pitch to the Maxis TV and Innovation teams. The pitch will take place over video (zoom / teams) w/c 13 September 2021.
One successful company will be chosen by Maxis to develop a proof of concept.