Digital Catapult is looking for a Data Scientist to join a team of five data scientists and Machine Learning technologists, and around 40 technologists and engineers working across different technology areas, such as 5G, immersive tech, IOT, Blockchain and more. The team plan and deliver complex projects that challenge AI+ML capabilities in new applications, to drive technology adoption and economic growth.
The Data Scientist works closely with innovative startups, mainly through our flagship programme Machine Intelligence Garage (migrage.ai) to help startups and SMEs in the machine learning field access computation power for building their products, grow their businesses and increase their capability. Your primary responsibility will be building Digital Catapult technical expertise around computation for machine learning. You will follow the latest developments in academia and conduct independent research to establish and maintain a national resource of expertise and thought leadership around computation power for machine learning. You will be working side by side with the most promising machine intelligence startups and SMEs to optimise training their models on different hardware setups (the role has some similarity to a research software engineer role in academia.)
This diverse role offers a high level of autonomy, responsibility, and the chance to work at the intersection of machine intelligence research and business opportunity.
The role would suit and individual who is proactive, creative, flexible, smart, collaborative, a fast learner and comfortable working across all stages of projects from planning to delivery.
- Build and maintain a national centre of expertise and thought leadership around hardware platforms for machine intelligence
- Establish a ‘one-stop-shop’ for startups to choose and access hardware setups appropriate for their computation requirements
- Look out for latest developments in hardware for Machine-Learning, assess viability of new solutions and provide regular research digests
- Working with the technical and business leads to identify opportunities for the development of the programme, assist commercial team during client's initial pitching phase
- Planning and delivery of workshops, meetups and events to promote machine intelligence garage’s activities and research
- Solve cutting edge AI+ML challenges with clients, startups and academic collaborators, including hands-on R&D
- Take part in innovation activities as an expert or mentor for startups and corporates
- Evangelise Digital Catapult’s mission and key programmes to a wide audience and into technical communities
- Broad and hands-on experience with key technologies in machine learning, deep learning, data science
- in terms of algorithms, data engineering, software tools and hardware
- Degree in Computer Science or a related subject, a postgraduate degree would be advantageous
- Familiarity with at least one common machine learning framework, such as Tensorflow, Theano, MXnet, Chainer, CNTK
- Experience of using a GPU (locally, or in the cloud)
- Experience in communicating complex technology topics to both specialist and general audiences
- Outstanding organisational skills: ability to prioritise and deliver to a high standard in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills, desire and ability to share ideas