Digital Catapult is hiring a Director of Engineering. The role is unusually varied as it will include managing the development of proof of concept deployments using multiple emerging technologies, working both with commercial clients and with partners as part of funded research projects. Many of the projects are in manufacturing, internet of things, cyber-physical systems or Industry 4.0. It also includes managing the technical support and operations for a number of cutting edge labs and testbeds across virtual and augmented reality, machine learning, 5G and low-power wide-area networking, as well as internal IT systems for Digital Catapult staff and operations.
The ideal candidate is proactive, cheerful, creative, collaborative and organised. Hands-on technical experience is required across modern software development and devops tools. You should have successful experience building and managing multidisciplinary technical teams across software engineering and operations, a track record of successful product launches or deployments of systems with clients, and be comfortable managing budgets for IT equipment and cloud hosting. The team is approximately 10 people across software development, devops and IT, with specialised technical staff from areas such as data science, machine learning or internet of things joining for specific projects.
Within this role you will gain exposure to many of the latest topics and technologies such as blockchain and smart contracts, internet of things, 5G, virtual and augmented reality.
- Lead a team of software engineers and technologists building proof of concept systems
- Provide technical architecture, leadership, creative technology and technical partnership direction
- Work closely with business development and senior technologists around the organisation, as well as commercial clients, to shape new project proposals
- Lead a team providing devops and operational support to Digital Catapult labs and testbeds, as well as the corporate web site
- Provide strong leadership for processes, automation, best practices, documentation and budget management
- Lead the IT team to provide both support and proactive improvements for internal IT systems and Digital Catapult Centre networking
- Team leadership and budget management experience
- experience hiring high-performing teams including in-demand technical skills, creative and R&D abilities. Strong project and time management focus, able to handle multiple projects at different stages of development as well as operational issues
- Experience managing software development teams. Excellent process management experience for agile software build and delivery, continuous testing and deployment, configuration management, source control
- Architecture, planning and budgeting for cloud deployments
- strong knowledge of available services across major providers such as AWS, Azure, Google. Detailed command of Linux. Experience with devops automation, containerisation and orchestration tools
- Essential to have previous history of hands-on software development. Desirable to have experience with internet of things deployments and with machine learning, AI or big data systems. Helpful to have experience with industrial internet of things projects
- Pro-active and self-confident, adaptable and able to cope with ambiguity, changing and evolving priorities whilst being able to identify new opportunities. Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills, with a creative and flexible attitude. Very collaborative working style
- desire and ability to share ideas. Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong networking knowledge and skills. Desirable to have experience managing internal IT systems (we have a mixed Mac/Windows environment with cloud-based services and applications)