Digital Catapult is seeking an Experience Researcher – Immersive, to lead the exploration and evaluation of immersive (virtual and augmented reality) user experiences, providing expertise and guidance in support of Digital Catapult’s extensive portfolio of Immersive technology programmes and services. At Digital Catapult, we know that VR and AR experiences and products require a different way of thinking when it comes to their design and evaluation, and this role will lead the way in making sure the companies we work with can benefit from the most up to date research and audience insight.
The successful candidate will join a 40-strong technology and engineering team, with experience from startups and top universities. They will also work collaboratively with a smaller, multi-disciplined Immersive team, to help deliver the programmes and services that Digital Catapult offers to a range of companies and organisations. It is a great opportunity to work at the cutting edge of new technologies, learn new skills and deliver valuable R&D that helps speed up the adoption of advanced digital technologies in the UK.
Our innovation programmes are diverse with different time scales. As such the role requires support on the delivery of ongoing innovation projects, contribution to R&D funding proposals, delivery of funded R&D projects collaborating with partners across Europe, working with our corporate partners and helping startups through our open innovation programmes, and working on projects to create pilots, testbeds and trials to accelerate the deployment of new technologies and business models.
- Identify, advise on, and facilitate a range of UX, user testing and interaction design activities and studies for VR/AR, reporting on learnings and deriving best practices
- Advising clients on user needs and interaction design for prototypes using immersive technology, and delivering key user and market insights related to innovation projects in immersive
- Work within a team to suggest, scope and write new R&D project proposals and commercial pitches, supporting and in some cases owning delivery of these projects
- Continue to develop and learn about new technologies, investigate and propose new project directions
- Share expertise and communicate work in presentations, blogs or articles.
- Experience of behavioural research and interaction design, including hands-on experience of a variety of qualitative and quantitative user testing methodologies and analysis. Previous experience in the field of immersive and interactive experiences is essential
- Excellent research skills and ability to translate academic research findings into accessible, practical information for companies of all sizes. Strong communication and stakeholder management is also key to working with our network of startups, SMEs and corporate clients
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills, interest to learn new topics and techniques, ability to cope with changing and evolving priorities. Previous experience of working within collaborative research projects (e.g. Innovate UK or EU funded projects) is an advantage
- Proactive and curious attitude to learning about new technology and its implications for new user experiences and products. Experience or interest in prototyping solutions using immersive technologies is an advantage
- A good communicator with a creative attitude, with evidence of successful innovation projects. Previous public speaking and writing experience is an advantage