The Digital Catapult is seeking a business manager to develop and deliver the partnerships, commercial income, project portfolio and funding base around 5G technology.
This is a diverse and influential role, collaborating with startups, corporates, universities, government agencies and other stakeholders working to develop projects and platforms to help grow the market for companies working with 5G, remove barriers to their growth and develop the funding base to underpin these projects and programmes.
The post holder will be able to look beyond short-term trends into future markets and see where the UK can be a leader in next-generation technologies and applications relating to 5G.
We are looking for someone with a good understanding of 5G who can help us deliver projects and seek new funding opportunities in these areas, particularly commercial and partnership income from clients.
The business teams work closely with technologists (in the CTO team) and the sector leads (in the business development team) in application verticals to develop and deliver these initiatives in a highly collaborative, matrix environment.
- Business development activities, including seeking additional CR&D funding and commercial income through strategic partnerships, and finding sponsors, partners and collaborators for projects
- Develop, test and launch business models for new project ideas to create significant impact
- Provide support to the development of new customer and grant-funded projects with SMEs, universities, major enterprises
- Maintain and grow existing partnerships, and develop new ones
- Working collaboratively with the technologists and vertical application sector specialists (in digital manufacturing and creative)
- Deliver and manage projects in these areas
- Engage and further grow the innovator community, working with Marketing
- Input into government initiatives and policy development as required
- Be an ambassador for the Digital Catapult’s agenda for 5G
- Mid-level experience in leading and managing complex initiatives in an industrial, manufacturing and/or technology environment
- A highly collaborative approach with the ability to coordinate and influence internal and external stakeholders
- Strong business development and commercial experience, including market analysis skills, experience in developing business cases for market intervention and projects and programmes, and good negotiation skills
- Good understanding of 5G markets in the UK and beyond, including technologies, major players, startups, investors, communities, market barriers and trends
- Well-connected and networked in the UK with relevant stakeholders, including businesses, investors, academia and government
- Good understanding of the wider innovation and technology debates in the digital economy
- Experienced and knowledgeable of the issues and opportunities faced by SMEs that are innovating in this space
- Familiarity with the technical concepts that underpin 5G technologies, although a deep technical understanding (such as the ability to develop software, write code, develop algorithms or analyse data) is NOT required.