Based in London, this role offers an exciting mix of activities focused on pushing the boundaries of existing IoT cloud and edge technologies as part of R&D projects at Digital Catapult. The activities include applied research, implementation of proof-of-concepts and experimentation through pilots and real-life trials. You will work in partnership with cutting edge start-ups and scale-ups and early technology adopters to validate technology feasibility and underlying business cases to enable a rapid scaling of advanced digital technology solutions. The projects will vary over time and will focus on establishing proof-points for disruptive new concepts that change the game for parts of the IoT value chain such as decentralised market place for IoT data or distributed autonomous manufacturing.
The successful candidate will join a 40-strong technology and engineering team, with experience from start-ups and top universities. It is a great opportunity to work at the cutting edge of new technologies, learn new skills and deliver valuable R&D that helps speed up the adoption of advanced digital technologies in the UK.
- Own the development and implementation of innovative IoT cloud and edge technologies in one or more R&D projects at Digital Catapult
- Work collaboratively with technologists, engineers, designers, project and product managers to design and deploy end-to-end IoT solutions to enable real world pilots at customer sites
- Work closely with project partners (who are sometimes across Europe), or commercial clients, to ensure successful delivery
- Share expertise and communicate work in presentations, blogs, technical reports or articles. Evangelise our mission and outcomes with others
- Continue to develop and learn new technologies
- investigate and propose new project directions
- Work within a team to craft new funding bids or commercial pitches
- Experience working in technology research projects, within a university or company research group. PhD or Masters in EE/CS or similar fields an advantage
- Experience with IoT security and distributed ledger technologies of advantage
- Hands-on experience in using and deploying IoT platforms / systems and API programming. Software development experience ideally in a commercial team working on production systems of advantages, as are contributions to open source projects
- Comfortable with collaborative and agile processes, continuous integration, working with git, AWS, web services, Docker containers
- A good communicator with a creative attitude, with evidence of successful innovation projects
- Experience or interest in prototyping solutions at the intersection of emerging technologies with IoT such as Artificial Intelligence, Distributed Ledger Technologies or Immersive technologies
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills, interest to learn new tools and topics, ability to cope with changing and evolving priorities