Based in London, this role offers an exciting mix of activities focused on the practical development, pilot deployments and performance evaluations of IoT technology as part of R&D projects at Digital Catapult. You will work in partnership with cutting edge start-ups and scale-ups and early technology adopters to validate technology feasibility and underlying business cases to enable a rapid scaling of advanced digital technology solutions. The projects will vary over time and will mainly focus on future network technologies such as the Internet of Things, low power wide area and 5G networks.
The successful candidate will join a 40-strong technology and engineering team, with experience from start-ups and top universities. It is a great opportunity to work at the cutting edge of new technologies, learn new skills and deliver valuable R&D that helps speed up the adoption of advanced digital technologies in the UK.
- Own the development and implementation aspects of one or more R&D projects at Digital Catapult
- Work collaboratively with technologists, engineers, designers, project and product managers to design and deploy end-to-end IoT solutions to enable real world pilots at customer sites
- Assess the suitability and performance of deployed IoT solutions during pilot operations
- Work closely with project partners (who are sometimes across Europe), or commercial clients, to ensure successful delivery
- Share expertise and communicate work in presentations, blogs, technical reports or articles
- Continue to develop and learn new technologies, investigate and propose new project directions
- Work within a team to craft new funding bids or commercial pitches
- Experience working in technology research projects, within a university or company research group. PhD or Masters in EE/CS or similar fields an advantage
- Hands-on experience in deploying IoT devices and networks and configuring system software. Software development experience ideally in a commercial team working on production systems of advantages, as are contributions to open source projects
- Experience with experimental research and performance analysis based on empirical evidence collected from real world settings and lab equipment
- Comfortable with collaborative and agile processes, working with git, AWS, web services
- A good communicator with a creative attitude, with evidence of successful innovation projects
- Experience or interest in prototyping solutions at the intersection of emerging technologies with IoT such as Artificial Intelligence, Distributed Ledger Technologies or Immersive technologies
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills, interest to learn new tools and topics, ability to cope with changing and evolving priorities.