Digital Catapult is hiring an interim Head of Engineering, for a period of up to 6 months. The candidate can work between 3 - 5 days per week, with at least 3 days per week on-site at our office in King’s Cross.
The role is unusually varied as it will include managing the development of proof of concept deployments using multiple emerging technologies, working both with commercial clients and with partners as part of funded research projects. Many of the projects are in manufacturing, internet of things, cyber-physical systems or Industry 4.0.
The ideal candidate is proactive, cheerful, creative, collaborative and organised. Hands-on technical experience is required across modern software development and devops tools. You should have successful experience building and managing multidisciplinary technical teams across software engineering and operations, a track record of successful product launches or deployments of systems with clients. The team you’ll be working with is approximately 10 people across software development, devops and IT, with specialised technical staff from areas such as data science, machine learning or internet of things joining for specific projects.
Within this role you will gain exposure to many of the latest topics and technologies such as blockchain and smart contracts, internet of things, 5G, virtual and augmented reality.
- Lead projects creating proof of concept systems with a team of software engineers and technologists
- Provide technical architecture, leadership, creative technology and technical partnership direction
- Work closely with business development and senior technologists around the organisation, as well as commercial clients, to shape new project proposals
- Experience leading software development projects. Excellent process management experience for agile software build and delivery, continuous testing and deployment, configuration management, source control
- Architecture, planning and budgeting for cloud deployments
- strong knowledge of available services across major providers such as AWS, Azure, Google. Detailed command of Linux. Experience with devops automation, containerisation and orchestration tools
- Essential to have previous history of hands-on software development, including internet of things / mixed hardware-software solutions. Desirable to have experience with machine learning, AI or big data systems
- Pro-active and self-confident, adaptable and able to cope with ambiguity, changing and evolving priorities whilst being able to identify new opportunities. Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills, with a creative and flexible attitude. Very collaborative working style
- desire and ability to share ideas
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong project and time management focus, able to handle multiple projects at different stages of development as well as operational issues