Digital Catapult’s Future Networks Lab is a unique facility that is fast forwarding the adoption of future networks technologies to deliver value to the industry. It is a multipurpose space showcasing the latest future networks technologies that include a full LTE & 5G radio and core network (our 5G London testbed) as well as Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN) such as LoRaWAN, SigFox and NB-IoT. This is combined with solutions from some of the most innovative startups working in this space with support from our partners such as BT, IBM and Siemens who offer a range of back end platforms such as MindSphere and Watson.
It is at the heart of the activity of the Future Networks team, which is looking to help boost innovation and drive earlier adoption of Future Networks technologies in the UK.
Your job is to run the day to day activity within the Future Networks Lab; maintaining core network and radio equipment, test equipment, assisting users of the lab, and helping to build up its technical capabilities and portfolio of services and activities, as well as proactively contributing to the work of the wider team. The role will also include hosting workshops as well as refreshing the demonstrations in the lab.
- Overall responsibility for day-to-day running and maintenance of the Future Networks Lab, including: IoT and 5G troubleshooting, ownership of the infrastructure within the lab, logging, tracking and maintaining lab equipment, running the booking systems and recording and reporting on usage and impact
- Running and maintaining specialist equipment including: protocol analysers, RF equipment, system administration and networking equipment
- Demonstrating content and technology to visitors and supporting events. The role will also manage and support lab bookings for external users
- Researching and purchasing new equipment, and building up the demonstration library / portfolio to ensure that the Lab stays current
- A technical background is essential (e.g. experience of IT, AV systems, telecoms equipment), and strong organisational skills are essential for maintaining the smooth running of the lab
- This is a practical, hands-on role and requires an enthusiastic and proactive approach to technical problem solving and involves trying and testing new technologies
- A confident individual with good organization and communication skills are essential for working with external management and C-level visitors to the Lab
- Passion for new technology is essential. Previous experience with IoT, LPWAN, 5G and cloud technologies is strongly preferred. Some level of understanding system administration/Linux
- basic programming skills would be advantageous.